The Reason for Elementary EDucation: A Blog About Parenting a Young Child With An Eating Disorder

     More than a year ago, when I became aware that my then 7 year old child had an eating disorder, I combed the internet for any articles, any advice, any help, any way to feel like I wasn’t alone in this. What I found was a lot of great information for parents of adolescents, teens, and adults with eating disorders. Every once in a while, I’d find some gem like “…and it can happen in kids as young as 6.” Okay, but what can I glean from that partial sentence? I know it is possible because I’m living it! Most of the ED content I could find was geared towards kids 12 and older, which is the typical time when eating disorders are diagnosed. We did not fit the mold of who has an eating disorder and when it presents itself.

     This isn’t uncommon for me. There are precious few molds that I fit. I did not want a traditional diamond engagement ring. I have trouble with following instructions without modifying them along the way. I change default settings that most people don’t know exist. I could go on, but you get it. Nonstandard is very much my normal. And now parenting an elementary-age child with an eating disorder is my normal.

     Elementary EDucation exists so that I can provide what I would have wanted, and certainly needed, last year. (And, by the way, continue to need.) I’d like to talk about our experiences, our difficulties, and our successes, even if some were fleeting. I hope other families with young children will never need to read my words, but sadly, I know some exist, because we do. And I hope others caring for young children with eating disorders will reach out to me. We need to learn from each other, and I’m here to do my part.  School is in session.

Comments

  1. Have you seen this documentary? You might relate to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bFxX6vp9jQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia, I don't have much words for you, just know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. I understand for what you're going through. My experience of treatment at 8 years olds was so bad... no one takes you seriously because it's so difficult to understand that someone so young can develop an ED. It's very sad. I want you to know that full remission it's possible, but the sooner you act the better, so please try to find a treatment team who is willing to help you. The experience of my parents trying to do the job is not successfull and I feel it was/is counterproductive. I hope you have the support of your family and friends. All my love.

    Belén

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things I Wish I Knew When I Learned My Young Child Had an Eating Disorder

My 8 Year Old’s Eating Disorder Makes Me Mad